Friday, February 19, 2016

That Special Moment

I thought the nice way to start off my first ever blog would be to give tribute to someone I admire. They also have their birthday tomorrow, so it's good time.

I think all of us have that small, but special experience in our young adult lives that is a moment that is imprinted on us forever. A pivotal moment in our lives. It can be a movie, book, or song. For me, it was listening to Nirvana for the first time. I was 16 and I had found my dad's copy of the seminal Nevermind. In retrospect, it was odd how I hadn't heard a single Nirvana song up to that point in my life, but I would never want to change that. The first time I listened that album was magical. It was fresh and something I had never heard before. It struck a chord with me and touch something deep down in inside. For me, Nirvana will never get old.


Listening to that album marked a turning point in my life. It kicked off my love affair with music, especially older rock and heavy metal music. But more importantly, Nirvana and Kurt Cobain from that point on were and are one of the positive forces in my life. Kurt Cobain and his music were my mentor. A helping hand as I went through the difficult time of being a teenager in high school. They helped me find my identity. For once, I was alright with being the quiet introverted artistic kid. That I didn't necessarily need to be popular or have hundreds of friends. I had grown to become more comfortable with myself (it's still a lifelong work in progress of course). He also got me into wearing my plaid flannel shirts I love so much.


But in all seriousness, I cannot express all my admiration for this man. He was strong in his convictions and wasn't afraid to speak his mind. He was so empathetic toward people. He had a wicked sense of humor. He expressed a sense of both strength and vulnerability. He was a wonderfully talented songwriter. Sure, he wasn't Eddie Van Halen when it came to his guitar playing, but he was able to convey soul and emotion through his playing, using a few simple chords, and his distinctive voice.



Besides music, he was also an artistic person. He loved to create visual art and would come up with many of the visual ideas on Nirvana's album covers and their music videos.

He painted the cover for this Nirvana compilation album released in 1992

I hope where ever he is, he's enjoying himself. Happy Birthday, Kurt Cobain. Thank you for everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment